Holly checks her progress shaving wood down to the line.
John checks the drop with a level.
John and Mike came from Peace and Hope Trust - a Christian charity helping out in Bluefields on the Atlantic coast of Nicaragua.
The wind machine we built in 2002 went to Bluefields. This year's will follow.
Amazingly, there happens to be a group of dedicated young french and americans producing exactly the same wind turbines in Bluefields now.
Blade carving in the pole barn. Conor in red.
Jan gets busy cutting up the steel.
An improved technique for measuring the offset of the alternator axis. Measure from the outside of the yaw tube.
Mike cleaning scale off the magnet disks. This was the first time I got the 12 mm holes cut by laser along with the disk outside and inside diameters.
Worked very well and saved a lot of hassle. Hardly costs any more to do.
Phil and Wembi drilling the mounting holes for the shaft flange.
Wembi sawing wood the African way (vertically). It's cold in Wales in October.
Holly and Phil mark the centre line of a blade.
John wiring up coils.
Fitting the magnets
CAT is a beautiful place to work in the Autumn weather.
Paul sets up the yaw frame at the correct angle. The next step is to weld the tail bracket onto the top of the yaw tube, standing vertically.
The yaw frame. Tail hinge fitted.
Phil cuts the blade root to the correct 120 degree angle.
Mr. Lee has a go with the draw knife.
John, Rob and Mark start to create a stator casting. Note the screw which will support the wiring coming out at the centre of farthest edge.
John pouring the resin. Notice the wiring fitted to the screw mentioned above. The flexible conduit is a big improvement on trailing wires.
A longer piece of conduit would have been cleverer if I had thought of it.
Tony and John place the final layer of fibreglass.
Screwing down the lid. Rob helps John while Tony and Mark watch.
Here he is again plying the drawknife with an expert touch.
Holly has a go at welding with the MiG
The blades take shape.
Holly and Conor pouring magnet rotors.
Buyile mixing resin.
The completed stator halfway out of the mould. It was a bit soft and we then put it back in front of the 500 watt lamps for a few hours to harden.
Mike uses gentle persuasion on the magnet rotor mould.
Buyile assembles the blades.
Paul drilling the clearance holes for the blade mounting studs. He has some assistance keeping the drill bit vertical.
The mould for the small (1.2m blade diameter) stator being set up true (square) relative to the shaft.
Conor with the completed tail.
Rob checking the blade studs of the small machine for true alignment.
Fitting the studs in the big machine. The nuts have been previously fitted and tightened. It's hard to work on them after the magnet rotor is there to grab the spanners.
Putting on the stator.
Rob uses a piece of plastic pipe to spin the completed alternator while Phil, Conor, Paul and Felix check the output voltage and frequency.
Mike fits the blades. They were a bit stiff, and hence the clamps.
Conor uses a small weight to check blade balance. He moves the weight out along the blade until it has enough torque to start the rotor turning. The position has to be the same for each blade. If not, the balance has to be corrected by small weights screwed on near to the hub. This degree of fine tuning ensures that the machine will run perfectly sweetly.
You can see a large weight in the foreground. This was added earlier to coarsely balance the assembly.
Another successful casting. The stator of the small machine comes out of the mould. The lid and the surround have already been taken off.
Buyile (not present) did the lovely central boss using a plastic bucket.
Erecting the gin pole. Nobody without hard hat allowed near.
Turbine erection. Conor in charge. Great test site half way up the hill above CAT.
Fixing the guy ropes.
Job done. We saw some output from the machine but not much as there was very little wind.